Scripture and Discipleship Questions for Sunday Worship
Current Sermon Series: “A Study on Malachi”
6“A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If then I am a father, where is my honor? And if I am a master, where is my fear? says the LORD of hosts to you, O priests, who despise my name. But you say, ‘How have we despised your name?’ 7 By offering polluted food upon my altar. But you say, ‘How have we polluted you?’ By saying that the LORD’s table may be despised. 8 When you offer blind animals in sacrifice, is that not evil? And when you offer those that are lame or sick, is that not evil? Present that to your governor; will he accept you or show you favor? says the LORD of hosts. 9 And now entreat the favor of God, that he may be gracious to us. With such a gift from your hand, will he show favor to any of you? says the LORD of hosts. 10 Oh that there were one among you who would shut the doors, that you might not kindle fire on my altar in vain! I have no pleasure in you, says the LORD of hosts, and I will not accept an offering from your hand. 11 For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name will be great among the nations, and in every place incense will be offered to my name, and a pure offering. For my name will be great among the nations, says the LORD of hosts. 12 But you profane it when you say that the Lord’s table is polluted, and its fruit, that is, its food may be despised. 13 But you say, ‘What a weariness this is,’ and you snort at it, says the LORD of hosts. You bring what has been taken by violence or is lame or sick, and this you bring as your offering! Shall I accept that from your hand? says the LORD. 14 Cursed be the cheat who has a male in his flock, and vows it, and yet sacrifices to the Lord what is blemished. For I am a great King, says the LORD of hosts, and my name will be feared among the nations.
Post-Sermon Discipleship Discussion:
1. Re-read verse 6. In what ways can Israel [and us today] show our love toward God?
Honor God as a good father and fear God as a good master.
2. Why are both of these ways in which we show love to God strange ways in which to show love to God?
We often see that love is expressed in emotion and “self-love” in our culture today over any expression of love in respect and honor. We should not apply our culture ways of showing love toward how we love God. We should show our love toward God as the Bible prescribes and the Bible prescribes a healthy version of fear and honor.
3. Discuss and list out the different sinful actions that the priests were taking in their worship.
Anything listed and described in the verses that God called the priests are failing in their worship.
4. Take the list that you made and try and think of ways that you have fallen short in your worship to God. [try and stay away from answers that make generalizations like, “I think we as the church/family/Christians could do better at ________.”]
This is an opportunity for self reflection on what we could be doing that is similar to what the priests are doing. Remember that when we fail in our worship, this is our God and he responds in a manner that is similar to this passage. This should move us to have a real, healthy honor and fear when we worship our good God.
5. What are the 3 lessons that we can learn from the priests failures?
- Give God Your Best (vs1-14)
- Dont Always Invoke the “Grace Card” All the Time (vs9)
- Weariness is Not the Motivation to Serve God (vs13&14)
6. For the rest of the time discuss what it is like to be active in each of the lesson areas in our worship of God.
Deacons Meeting - Sunday October 4th @ 8:30am